Camp Kitchen Recipes
Hot Apple Cinnamon Walnut Trail Oats (and other variations!)
Sure, you could open a packet of instant oatmeal - but once you've tasted this 'fresh take' on an outdoor staple, you will never go back. Your conscience will approve of your fragrant, hearty, healthy choice (and your taste buds will love all the decadent add-ons...)
PRO TIP #1: X-Cups, X-Mugs and X-Bowls have graded measurements molded into the inside surfaces. Delta Spoons are exactly 1 tablespoon.
1 cup/250ml = 1 X-Cup 1 tbsp/15ml = 1 Delta Spoon 2 cups/500ml = 1 X-Mug 3 tsp = 1 Delta Spoon
Serving size: 2
Prep time: 2 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking or instant oats
- 1 cored and chopped Granny Smith apple
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pour 1-2 cups of boiling water over instant oats and chopped apple: cover in an X-Seal & Go bowl and let sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the 'extras', i.e. brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts.
- For quick cooking oatmeal, boil 1-2 cups water and oatmeal for 2-4 minutes or until desired thickness is achieved, add the apples and simmer for 1 additional minute. Top with brown sugar and walnuts.
Below you will find different variations of our trail oats recipe. Try these out by adding the 'extras' per serving of oatmeal.
Decadent Chocolate Hazelnut Trail Oats
- 1 packet of Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup dried strawberries (optional)
Pecan Peach Trail Oats
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried peaches
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
Cranberry, Macadamia Nut, White Chocolate Trail Oats
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1-2 tbsp white chocolate chips or chunks
Pineapple Mango Coconut Chia Trail Oats
Mix 1-2 tbsp chia seeds with the oats to cook and then add these 'extras':
- 1/4 cup diced, dried pineapple
- 1/4 cup diced, dried mango
- 1-2 tbsp roasted hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- Maple syrup or brown sugar to taste (optional)