Camp Kitchen Recipes
Banging beef taco recipe
This authentic Mexican taco recipe is street food at its finest. It’s a great dish for group camping trips as you can make big batches of the filling and hand out the tacos for everyone to fill up.
The dish was created to be an easy taco recipe that captures the incredible flavours of traditional Mexican food while keeping it simple so it can be cooked on a camp stove.
Check out the full recipe below:
- 200g ground beef
- 1 onion
- 2 bell peppers
- Taco spice mix
- Small tortilla wraps (corn (GF) or wheat)
- Pico de gallo salsa
- 75ml sour cream
- Fresh coriander
- 75g grated cheese
For homemade spice mix
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
For homemade pico de gallo salsa
- 1 red onion (finely diced)
- 4 tomatoes (deseeded and finely diced)
- Chopped fresh coriander
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
Homemade salsa (optional)
- Finely dice all of the ingredients for the salsa and add to a bowl.
- Combine the ingredients by mixing together and finish with a squeeze of lime.
- Continue adding more lime juice and seasoning to taste.
- Slice the onion into strips (or dice if preferred), and deseed two peppers before slicing into strips.
- Heat a frying pan on the stove and add a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Once the pan is hot, add the onions and peppers and cook until soft.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and break it up with a spatula.
- Sprinkle ½ tbsp of the taco spice mix into the pan, stir and continue to cook until the beef is cooked through. Remove the mixture from the pan and set it aside.
- Place a wrap in the centre of the pan and spoon in some of the beef before topping with grated cheese.
- After a few minutes, fold the wrap in half, press down and flip. (The taco should be browned with a crisp exterior and the cheese should have melted.)
- Repeat steps five and six until you have the desired amount of tacos.
- Top the tacos with salsa, sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve with sour cream.
OUR PARTNER CHEF
Harrison Ward, otherwise known as Fell Foodie, is an inspirational camp stove cook and all-around outdoorsman.
Following a drastic life change in 2016, he found a passion for hiking, which he soon combined with his lifetime love of cooking.
Not only does he utilise his platforms for sharing delicious outdoor recipes, Harrison regularly voices his struggles with mental health, sharing his story to help others.
Together, we’ve created 10 versatile camping recipes that bring fresh ingredients and bold flavours to outdoor cooking – all using our minimalist, space-saving equipment.